Saturday, January 12, 2008

Writers' Conferences - Just Do It

I believe that attending writers' conferences is the best way for aspiring writers to learn about the craft, to network with editors and other writers, and to get published. I will be teaching the teen track at two upcoming conferences: the Florida Christian Writers' Conference near Bradenton, Florida, February 28-March 2 (Click Here) and the Mount Hermon Christian Writers' Conference near San Jose, California, March 14-18 (Click Here).

If you're a teen writer and want to take a serious class on writing fiction with an emphasis on fantasy, you might want to check these out. At the Florida conference, there are a few $200 grants available for teens. That will help a lot.

Adult writers will also benefit greatly. I might even let you sneak into my class, especially if you bring cookies. My career as an author began because of editor contacts, and I met a lot of writing friends as well, so I always point to conferences as the road to success. Several established authors helped me hone my skills or introduced me to editors or movers and shakers in the industry. If you want to get out of the slush pile, this is the way to go.

I hope to see some of my blog readers there! I'll do my best to show you the ropes.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't wait till february! I'm going to the Florda Conference and I've never gone to anything like this before so I'm really looking forward to it.

Craig Snedeker said...

I am writting a book along with a lot of other internet friends at Cactus Game Design forums (christian card game site). we haven't decided on a theme, but i hope its fanasty.

this sounds cool!

Shane Deal said...

In the future I will. I definitely won't be attending any this year for lack of funds.

Pam Halter said...

I'm going to Mt. Hermon ... now if I can think of a way to pack cookies without them breaking into a million pieces! HA!

Roheryn said...

Can't WAIT for the FCWC!
My mom and I are going to get my plane tickets tomorrow, and I can't wait to get down there!
Mayhaps we'll have to hang out a bit CFA!

Unknown said...

I definitely plan on being at the FCWC!! CAN'T WAIT!

Anonymous said...

Awww, I wish I could go, but I have classes, plus no funds to fly down there.
Maybe next year?
Hope it's a good conference ^-^