Tuesday, September 27, 2005

A Writer's Busy Life

I'm not going to win any awards for posting frequency. Maybe someday I'll begin posting once a month, then once a week, then daily. ... No. Probably not. But I'll do what I can.

I wonder if people perceive a writer's life as leisurely and slow-paced. We sit and stare at the ceiling, contemplating eternal truths and translate them into down-to-earth stories. Maybe we sip coffee and work a crossword puzzle, just to warm up, then log onto the computer and check our standing on six different fantasy football leagues. Got to keep the mind occupied during writer's block, right?

Not exactly. Maybe it's that way for some, but I don't know any writer who isn't constantly busy. Whether a book deadline stalks him night and day or speaking engagements demand preparation, every author I know lives at a frantic pace.

So, now as I leisurely sit back in my soft deskchair, I'll finally take time away from my fantasy football league and stack of crossword puzzle magazines and post an update.

Tears of a Dragon is on schedule ... I think. At least I've done all I can. It was edited and proofread by a couple of wonderfully talented editors. I carefully studied the typeset version and sent back the pages that needed changes (210 pages to be corrected! Ouch!). I checked the altered typeset version and approved the final document. It should now be at the printers.

Our official release date is October 30. I hope to have copies well before that, so those who order from me on-line might get yours before that date. We'll see.

I'm rapidly filling up my appearance schedule. The month of October is already getting crazily busy, and most of the events are out of state. Time to hit the road again.

Speaking of busy, while I was writing this, my wife called me to tell me we are getting two foster children short-term, two young brothers, ages 2 and 6. That's exciting ... and scary. Yes, the benefit for these two kids could be wonderful, but it's always a difficult transition. God help us to be the temporary parents these boys need at such a troubling time in their lives.

Well ... back to work!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"Not exactly. Maybe it's that way for some, but I don't know any writer who isn't constantly busy. Whether a book deadline stalks him night and day or speaking engagements demand preparation, every author I know lives at a frantic pace."

Yes, as a new writer, I am finding this to be true. I told a lady that I'm writing a story for that I never thought I could be so busy doing "nothing." She laughed and said that I wasn't doing "nothing." It's just that I'm so used to going to work every day, or school, or something. Now I find that I am busy and my mind is constantly working out plots and dialogue, story arcs, character profiles, etc. And the best part is that I LOVE it!

I'm working on short stories right now, but hopefully soon I can work on the one or three book ideas I have.