Saturday, March 26, 2005

A New Creation

I spent a lot of time yesterday working on a new book project. Although I still have book four of the Dragons in our Midst series to finish, I wanted to get a couple of chapters under my belt for a new series concept. In many ways this process invigorated me more than the usual charge I get from writing.

Why? I think it's because I participated in the process of creation at it foundation. My favorite part of writing has always been writing something new. Editing and re-editing is the tedious part, and the toiling hours can be mind-numbing. But when I put new ideas on my computer screen and create a story, I feel the one aspect of the image of God springing from my soul, the art of genesis.

With the new series, this feeling has even more of a creative cutting edge. I am generating new characters, a new male and female protagonist. It's as if Adam and Eve are springing to life from my own imagination. God, a first-cause being, the ex-nihilo creator, has implanted in me the same ability. No, not the ability to form a physical man out of dust, but the capacity to form a new idea out of the dust of my mind. And when I place that man and woman in my new world, it is so exhilarating to be able to say, "It is good!"

Well, there is still much to do in this new world, so my Sabbath rest still lies in the future. I'd better get back to work!

2 comments:

Bryan Davis said...

You're not missing the point at all. Clefspeare, indeed, has not acted properly with his wife or son. He has much to learn.

Why do I take the name? Because the journey of Clefspeare/Jared reflects my own journey, not in disowning a son, but rather in not having a proper relationship with the Son until I was 25 years old.

As you have obviously noticed, the overarching story of all four books is the relationship between Billy and his father, how Clefspeare will ultimately deal with his dual nature, and what his final decision will be regarding his humanity.

Never fear. The story will deal with all of these. You will get some clues to the outcome in book three, but the conclusion will not come until book four.

Shelby said...

Wow, I feel exactly the same way when I write! Creativity is a wonderful gift from God!