Friday, August 25, 2006

Between Books

With Eye of the Oracle complete and Enoch's Ghost stewing in my brain, I am now in a "between books" period, so I am able to work on other projects, at least for a little while. One that has been itching to get done is a novel I wrote several years ago called I Know Why the Angels Dance. I love this story, but now that I look back on it, it needs quite a bit of housecleaning ... okay, major renovation.

It's interesting that I still see the writing as clear and emotionally moving. I thought, since I had learned quite a bit more about writing, that I would no longer like it. But it's really not bad at all. I tended, however, to overwrite, adding thoughts and details that kept the story from moving along. These details can still come through, but they need to be blended into the action more, a task that is much more difficult than simply dumping the information on the reader. Many readers will scan over a lengthy detail section and miss the depth, but if its intermixed with story movement, they'll pick it up and appreciate it more.

I hope I have time to get through enough chapters to create a proposal for publishing. This story is so moving, every female adult reader cried profusely--even some males. I hope I don't lose that power in the rewrite.

3 comments:

Bryan Davis said...

Don't worry about crying while reading the DIOM books. A lot of people do. I did while writing certain sections.

This book I'm rewriting now, however, is a real cathartic. My wife cried on and off for three days. Another woman told me she used a whole box of tissue. We'll see how it turns out.

Keep on writing!

Astral Pen said...

I hope it works out. I know we would love to read it! I have also put stories on the shelf (many of which are still there) to pursue something else. Right now I'm bouncing back and forth between two stories. I've reached 48,000 words on one and 63,000 words on the other. (Ping-pong writing!)

I think you were also working on a story called "Time Prints." That one's really piqued my curiosity. Sounds exciting! :)

Bryan Davis said...

G.O., Time Prints is still definitely in play. I think it's my best idea ever. I'm still shopping it around to put it in the best place possible.